- 2006 - present: Physicist, X-ray ScienceDivision, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinios
- 2001 - 2006: Assistant Physicist, Experimental Facilities Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinios
- 1997-2001: Research Professor, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- 1994-1997: Postdoctoral Appointee, Materials Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinois
- Ph.D., Physics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, June 1994
- M.A., Physics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, May 1991
- B.S., Engineering Physics, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ, May 1988
- "Studies of nanomagnetism using synchrotron-based x-ray photoemission electron microscopy (X-PEEM)," X.M. Cheng, D.J. Keavney, Rep. Prog. Phys.75, 026501 (2012).
- "Magnetic instability regions in patterned structures: influence of element shape on the magnetization reversal dynamics",
X.F. Han, M. Grimsditch, J. Meersschaut, A. Hoffmann, Y. Ji, J. Sort, J. Nogues, R. Divan, J.E. Pearson, and D. J. Keavney, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 147202 (2007)
- "Magnetic vortex core dynamics in cylindrical ferromagnetic dots," K. Guslienko, X. Han, D. J. Keavney, R. Divan, and S. D. Bader, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 067205 (2006).
- "Role of defect sites and Ga polarization in the magnetism of Mn-doped GaN," D. J. Keavney, S. H. Cheung, S. T. King, M. Weinert, and L. Li, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 257201 (2005).
- "Concentration-independent local ferromagnetic Mn configuration in Ga(1-x)Mn(x)As," D. Wu, D. J. Keavney, R. Wu, E. Johnston-Halperin, D. D. Awschalom, J. Shi, Phys. Rev. B 71, 153310 (2005).
- "Oscillatory interlayer exchange coupling in [Pt/Co]n/NiO/[Co/Pt]n multilayers with perpendicular anisotropy: Dependence on NiO and Pt layer thicknesses," Z.Y. Liu, L. Yue, D.J. Keavney, S. Adenwalla, Phys. Rev. B 70, 224423 (2004).
- "Selective growth of Co nanoislands on an oxygen-patterned Ru(0001) surface," H. F. Ding, A. K. Schmid, D. J. Keavney, D. Li, R. Cheng, J. E. Pearson, F. Y. Fradin, S. D. Bader, Phys. Rev. B 72, 035413 (2005).
- "Element resolved spin configuration in ferromagnetic manganese-doped gallium arsenide," D. J. Keavney, D. Wu, J. W. Freeland, E. Johnston-Halperin, D. D. Awschalom, J. Shi, Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 187203(2003).