Argonne's current Apple Computer hardware and software supplier is Holman's. Please log into the AMOS Suppliers Page and select Holman's. From there you can make a purchase or create a proposal.
Once your computer arrives, please enter a Help Desk ticket to have it set up and deliver it to L2103. Thank you.
At this time, Apple's current computer lineup is supported by APS IT. Your purchasing decision should be based on your budget and your computing needs.
Note: the new MacBook Pros and MacBooks are exclusively USB-C now. As such, they will require a plethora of adapters. See below.
We are no longer supporting—and are retiring—machines older than 2011.
The only recommendations we would suggest specifically are:
- Since Apple is now soldering many components directly to the motherboard, we are recommending purchasing as many upgrades as your budget will allow as it's extremely unlikely you will be able to upgrade later.
- Order at least 8 Gigabytes of memory total, preferably more if you can afford to.
- If you are purchasing an Apple Laptop, please also order an Ethernet adapter for use on wired networks. This makes setting the laptop up much easier:
- For a MacBook Air (or legacy 13" MacBook Pro), order a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - part number MD463ZM/A
- For the new MacBook Pros or MacBooks, order one of the following:
- Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - part number F2CU040BTBLK
- StarTech, 3-Port USB 3.0 Hub plus Gigabit Ethernet - USB-C - part number HB30C3A1GEA
- If you are purchasing an Apple laptop, we suggest you purchase an additional power adapter as you can leave one at work and take the other on travel.
- For a MacBook, order a 29W USB-C Power Adapter - part number MJ262LL/A
- For a MacBook Air, order a 45-watt MagSafe 2 Power Adapter - part number MD592LL/A
- For the legacy 13" MacBook Pro, order a 60-watt MagSafe 2 Power Adapter - part number MD565LL/A
- For a 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, order a 61W USB-C Power Adapter - part number MNF72LL/A AND a USB-C Charge Cable - part number MLL82AM/A
- For a 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, order an 87W USB-C Power Adapter - part number MNF82LL/A AND a USB-C Charge Cable - part number MLL82AM/A
- If you plan on connecting your Apple laptop to an external VGA or HDMI monitor or projector, you will have to purchase one or both USB-C MultiPort Adapters:
- USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter - part number MJ1L2AM/A (VGA and USB connection)
- USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - part number MJ1K2AM/A (HDMI and USB connection)
- If you are purchasing either a MacBook or a new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, since they are USB-C ONLY, you might want to consider:
- USB-C to USB Adapter - part number MJ1M2AM/A
- Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - part number MMEL2AM/A (if you ever want to transfer files over Thunderbolt 2)
- If you are purchasing a Mini, it only has HDMI video out.
- If you wish to connect it to a VGA monitor, you will have to purchase a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - part number MB572Z/B.
- If you wish to connect it to a DVI monitor, you will have to purchase a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - part number MB570LL/B or an HDMI to DVI Adapter - part number MJVU2AM/A.
Apple no longer offers any displays. The IT group stocks non-Apple branded monitors that will work fine with an Apple computer—and the appropriate adapter from the list above. Please see the Recommended Monitors page.