As the APS Upgrade Project (APS-U) moves forward, we want to reach out even further to scientific communities and leaders in order to involve them with beamline upgrade projects, and motivate them to prepare for more challenging experiments. Hence, the APS-U will organize a series of scientific workshops in 2018-2020.
The motivation for these workshops is to recognize new discoveries and the emerging topics in physics, chemistry, materials science, and materials synthesis and processes. We will relate and link these developments to advanced x-ray scattering, spectroscopy, and imaging methods. This will trigger a series of actions regarding methodology development, new x-ray optics, and new detection schemes, and motivate computational code developments commensurate with the needs of these emerging fields.
Each workshop will bring together leaders in their fields to present invited and contributed talks, followed by an extensive discussion period, and then report writing.
These scientific workshops are:
1) Biological Science Opportunities Provided by the APS Upgrade, August 20-21, 2018
2) Opportunities in Biological and Environmental Research Uniquely Enabled by the APS Upgrade, August 28-29 (tentative), 2018
3) Condensed Matter Physics, X-ray Scattering, and X-ray Spectroscopy at the APS Upgrade, September 25-26, 2018
4) Discovery, Synthesis, and Development of Emerging Materials and the Role of the APS Upgrade, September 27-28, 2018
5) Catalysis Research, X-rays, and the APS Upgrade, September 24-25, 2019
6) Time-Resolved Chemistry at the APS Upgrade, September 26-27, 2019
7) Industrial Processes and the Role of APS Upgrade, September 21-22, 2020
8) Materials under Extreme Conditions at the APS Upgrade, September 23-24, 2020
9) Structure, Kinetics, and Dynamics in Soft Materials, 2020 (exact date TBD)