caQtDM is awesome! I'm having quite a lot of fun with it, and I've been accumulating
notes as I run across issues and questions. Here's what I have so far:
- Looks and feels very much like MEDM: has a display path, imports .gif images,
displays can include other displays.
- No drag and drop of PV names (yet?)
- Apparently doesn't support long strings (e.g., CALC$).
- Mouse-click focus maintained when pointer leaves box. (Nice, but this allows
the display to remain out of sync with the IOC indefinitely, and the user gets
no indication of this.)
- adl2ui works well. I translated all the displays in synApps in just a few
minutes, and most things work.
- Related-display button "replace" behavior is not honored (or even recorded by
- caMessageButton button apparently doesn't send to PROC fields.
- Event-throttling is nice, but at high event rates, it can have the side effect
of issuing monitor callbacks in the order PVs were connected, rather than in
the order the monitors were received.
- The build is not well described (for linux, at least).
- Qt designer is used to make new display files. Pretty nice, though with
drawbacks that are described in caQtDM docs. Display files can also be edited
by hand, and it's pretty easy because they are XML files. Designer feels
pretty much like CSS-BOY's edit mode.
- Adding new widgets is pretty easy. I made a modified copy of the caCamera
widget to display image data from a 2D scan, even though I'm an abject newbie
at C==/Qt. (It's not ready for prime time - really just a proof of principle
at this point.) For some reason, I'm getting several callbacks for every
monitor event. I'm attaching a .png file of some simulated 2D scan data.
- caThermo widget, in a display translated from the sscan module's
ProgressBar.adl file, doesn't show the right orientation, even though the .ui
file calls for direction="Right".
Thanks for this software. If I can fix one or two little things, I'm going to try to
inflict it on some actual users for their comments.
From: "Mezger Anton Christian" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: email@example.com, "firstname.lastname@example.org" <'email@example.com'>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2012 10:53:01 AM
Subject: caQtDM, linux and windows distributions
Again an upgrade of caQtDM is available ( Version 2.5) . Information can be found at our PSI-Website http://epics.web.psi.ch/software/caqtdm/
Improvements and bug fixes are described shortly at the site.
Also a windows distribution package (caQtDM.msi) is available. This package allows you to use the Qt designer and caQtDM immediately after installing.
Let me know of its usage, improvements, bug fixes, hints. Tell me if you like it.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year.
Dr. Anton Chr. Mezger
Head of Accelerator Operations
Accelerator division (ABE)
Paul Scherrer Institut, WBGB/103
CH-5323 Villigen PSI
Phone: ++41 (0)56 310 3406
Fax : ++41 (0)56 310 3383