2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  <20172018  2019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024  Index 2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  <20172018  2019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024
<== Date ==> <== Thread ==>

Subject: Re: exporting module versions
From: Dirk Zimoch <[email protected]>
To: Mark Rivers <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 15:58:02 +0100
Hi Mark,

Not that many driver-like modules actually have an API. Only the generic ones like asyn or devLib2 do. And particularly there it is desirable to be a bit more careful with changes. For example not to re-order function tables needlessly should not be too difficult.

In my opinion (and experience) it is not too much work to try to stay backward compatible. In particular compared to debugging situations when compile-time and link-time interfaces (i.e header files and dynamic libraries) don't match. And this does happen in real life.

And it is not only IOCs. The base libraries Com and ca are used by many client programs or programming language interfaces. To find them all and re-build them is a problem as soon as more systems than "my beamline" is affected.

To opt against compatibility sound to me like: "I don't care if other people have problems with my changes." But we are in a community, where other people have to live with our changes.

BTW: This is exactly what I hate with the Linux kernel changes. And this is probably why so many manufactures do not want to provide Linux drivers for their products.

Dirk