2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  <20072008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024  Index 2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  <20072008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024
<== Date ==> <== Thread ==>

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Timing/Event Systems]
From: Korhonen Timo <[email protected]>
To: Andrew Johnson <[email protected]>
Cc: EPICS core-talk <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:05:31 +0100
Andrew Johnson wrote:
ILC-Controls folk: I'm forwarding Ron Rechenmacher's message to the EPICS developers who are working on an enhanced timing/event API that will be included in EPICS Base R3.14.10.

EPICS Guys:

The ILC community are discussing timing/event systems, see the messages forwarded below.

Do any of you have a network (probably UDP-based) driver pair for the (old or new) Event system? I don't see any particular difficulty with creating one that would plug in to the Time Governor code, but I don't remember hearing anyone talking about having created one.

Not at the moment (unless somebody has written such one and forgotten to tell :-) ). However, writing such a driver would not be a big deal, for most of the functionality. I would need to take a close look at some of the issues. I would like to revise
some of the concepts with the drivers anyway (since many years...)

That brings up another point for the Time Governor: should (do) we have a standard API for event generators? IIRC the Time Governor stuff is currently just for event receivers, does it make sense to add an API call for event system drivers that generates a particular event number? This obviously isn't going to be useful for high precision timing, but it could be useful, including as a way to implement a 'time distribution over event system' time driver in a generic manner (although that would almost certainly break compatibility with existing clients).

The Time Governor has also a part for event generators, at least in our (Babak's) version. We have a mixture of (SLS) 'old' and 'new' (Diamond & later) event cards and need to distribute some global time information over the network (and also keep the event time in sync with wall clock time with a servo loop.) Adding an API call to generate an event number is simple, but it is not obvious for me at the moment how that could be used in time distribution (it is late Friday afternoon over here ...)

By the way, I could not resist to comment on this:
The jitter and the drift with this system are several of 10ps

There must be something wrong with the setup (I am not sure whose comment this was...) we get a jitter well below 10 ps, measured with a LeCroy SDA6000 (and the 230-series EVG/EVR). Long-term drift can of course depend on many issues, mainly (ambient) temperature change, but we have not seen any problems with this at SLS, and when the devices are operated in steady state.

best regards,

Timo

ps. And yes, the Micro-Research system is indeed the result of evolution from the Fermilab-APS line. We at SLS took the APS system as a reference, redesigned it (with Micro-Research) so that we could use it for all timing including injection. For Diamond we then collaborated and had a chance to implement many things which were not possible or feasible at the time we were building SLS. Shanghai Light Source is indeed using them, as well as the Australian Light Source. All these places have contributed several good ideas along the way :-)

- Andrew