2002  2003  2004  <20052006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024  Index 2002  2003  2004  <20052006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024
<== Date ==> <== Thread ==>

Subject: Re: V4 design issue: Should primitive data types have well defined precisions?
From: Marty Kraimer <[email protected]>
To: EPICS Core Talk <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:54:21 -0500

Ralph Lange wrote:

Dalesio, Leo `Bob` wrote:

From a functional point of view - the DA approach gives you total flexibility.

What does it do to the complexity of the implementation and the performance? Does it have an impact on the server? Or just the client side?
I'm amused to see that we start discussing basic requirements and properties of an introspective data interface again. I thought this discussion was held and ended five years ago. Well....

Sounds like we should have had more design reviews about dataAccess over the last five years.

As far as I know, before the meeting at SLAC (April 2005), no decision was made that dataAccess would be an integral part of epics. I think we did agree that:
1) performance tests would be done.
2) then we would decide if dataAccess would be used in the portable CA server 3) then we would decide if iocCore should use the portable server instead of rsrv.

If either 2) or 3) was decided, I am not aware of it.

At the April meeting at SLAC it did seem to be decided that we would use dataAccess as an integral part of epicsV4. However, the request to show an hello world example really made me start wondering if this was a good decision.

I think the following is a correct description of the main features of dataAccess and the V4 CA client interface.

VERY BRIEF DESCRIPTION

dataAccess is a way to transfer data between two data sources.
Each source implements a propertyCatalog for accessing it's data.
propertyIds identify data that the two sources have in common.
Only data with common propertyIds is transfered.

END VERY BRIEF DESCRIPTION

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF dataAccess

Any kind of data can have a propertyId associated with it, i.e. primitive data, a string, an array, or a set of other propertyIds.

A data repository implements a propertyCatalog via which it's data can be read or written. A propertyCatalog provides access to data for a set of propertyIds.

Code that wants to write data to the data repository implements a propertyCatalog for the data it provides. The writer than calls something, e.g. CA client code, that can transfer data to the data repository. The writer's propertyCatalog is used to get data from the writer. The data repository's propertyCatalog is used to modify the data in the repository.

Code the wants to read data from the data repository implements a propertyCatalog for a place to put data received from the data repository and then calls code to get the data.The data repository's propertyCatalog is used to get data from the repository and the reader's propertyCatalog is used to give the data to the reader.

If the reader/writer and the data repository are not in the same address space, network communications are used to transmit the data. Thus intermediate data repositories , which may just be network buffers, are involved. This is transparent to the reader/writer and the data repository.

The propertyCatalog provided by the reader/writer and the propertyCatalog supplied by the data repository do not have to match. Only data with idential propertyIds are transfered between the propertyCatalogs.

For primitive data types (int, short, float, etc) the data type for the two propertyCatalogs do not have to be the same. dataAccess provides conversions between the primitive data types.

dataAccess does not define the primitive types. this is left to the implementation. For the existing C++ implementation the primitive types are: char, signed char, unsigned char, short, unsigned short, long, unsigned long, float, and double. The precision of each of these types is not specified by dataAccess.

In order to transmit data over the network, a set of primitive data types must be defined precisely. For example the number of bits in each supported integer type must be defined. From the viewpoint of dataAccess only the network layer needs to know this representation. the code that interfaces with the network layer does not need to know this detail.

END BRIEF DESCRIPTION.

The rest of this message is comments.

In theory a client could implement any propertyCatalog it wants and a data source could implement any propertycatalog it wants. dataAccess can be used to pass data between the two data stores. Only data with matching propertyIds is transfered.

It is my belief that users's will not want to create property catalogs for everything they want to transfer. What I think will happen is that "convenience" layers will be built on top of dataAccess. Unless standard convenience layers are created many non-compatible layers will be created.

dataAccess does not define basic primitive data types such as int16, int32, int64. This means that unless something else besides dataAccess defines such types two data sources have no way to guranteee that their primitive data types are compatiblle. In fact for the exact same propertyId one source may store the data as a, int32 and the other side as a float64. With dataAccess alone they have no way of knowing except by some other means such as conventions about propertyIds.

Since dataAccess does not define primitive data types, application code has no way to guarantee precision for data without some conventions on top of dataAccess. Thus if the application uses the type long it does not know if this is 32 bits or if it is 64 bits. For network applications it certainly seems desirable to have a way to guarantee precisions.

Let me give another way of looking at dataAccess.

Data is transfered from A to B via the following:

A has the data in some structured form it understands. It creates a propertyCatalog for accessing the data. B wants the data in some structured form it understands. It creates a propertyCatalog that can access the data.

Some code uses the propertyCatalog, possibly passes the data through other intermediate data repositories such as network buffers and gateways, and finally some code uses the propertyCatalog supplied by B to give the data to B.

At each step in this transfer data conversions may be performed. For example the data might start as a double, be converted to an integer, and than back to a double. dataAccess itself does not provide any way to know.

Thus we could look at the transfer as A sending well structured data into a cloud and B receiving well structured data from the cloud. Neither side knows what data transformation were made inside the cloud.