Table of Contents
- Creates and edits EPICS ".db" files.
- Use dbLoadRecords() or dbLoadTemplate() to load the generated ".db" files into an IOC
- Generates a graphic file and ".db" file for each saved database.
- Graphic file and ".db" file must be kept in sync by GDCT. Editting one of the files with a text editor can cause problems.
- Will import ".db" files created with other tools.
- Always open the graphics file, not the ".db" file unless importing.
- GDCT uses a publicly available graphics library called InterViews. An EPICS modified version in available under anonymous ftp on epics.aps.anl.gov.
- Records are graphic or normal. Normal are tagged "record" and graphic are tagged "grecord" in the ".db" file.
- Graphic records are visible in the drawing window.
- Normal records are viewed and editted using the "Hidden Record Edit" feature.
- Records can be changed from normal to graphic.
- Imported records appear as normal records.
- Substitution variables can be placed in any field of a record and can appear in record names.
- The total length of a record name including substitution variables must be less then 28 characters.
- Link information can be entered when editting fields in the "Edit Attributes" dialog only under special conditions.
- External Links provide access to data in other databases.
- An external link instructs the database where to get data from (INP) or where to put data to (OUT).
- Make fields visible in the drawing area by using Examine - Field Export List.
- Edit fields of a record by using Examine - Edit Attributes.
- The Show button of the new record creation dialog will list the non-graphical records of the selected record type. By selecting a non-graphical record and hitting "create", the record will be transformed into a graphic record.