Space Groups: A primer on topics significant for powder diffraction
- Introduce symmetry concepts important for Rietveld analysis,
particularly of inorganic materials.
Knowledge of symmetry operations and space groups,
as covered in any crystallography textbook, is assumed.
- Format: PDF slides or a RealPlayer video of the slides with
- Space group naming
- Common tripping hazards
- Rhombohedral vs. hexagonal settings
- Origin 1 vs. Origin 2
- Inputting space groups to GSAS
- Phase transformations
- Terminology & relation to symmetry
- Subgroups & Supergroups
- Systematic absences