Argonne National Laboratory

Users Week 2009
May 4-6, 2009

Argonne Home > Advanced Photon Source >


Guidelines for Speakers

Workshop 7 speakers please note (High Pressure Synchrotron Science): Please follow reimbursement and travel guidelines from your organizers, which will differ from these, as your workshop is being handled separately. Information for non-citizens does apply.

  • Provide the title of your talk to your organizer as soon as possible for posting on the web.
  • Send your abstract to the workshop or session organizer by March 31, or by the date the organizer specifies.
  • For the abstract, use a standard journal format for authors and affiliations (see sample abstract).
  • You must register at by April 25 (April 11 for non-U.S. citizens). Use the registration form labeled "Speakers."
  • See important travel reimbursement guidelines below.
  • Travel and lodging information is at the Practical Matters page of the meeting site.
  • U.S. citizens: bring a photo ID (driver's license or other Federal photo ID) to show at the visitor's center on arrival.
  • Non-U.S. citizens, see important access instructions below.
  • When you arrive at the meeting, pick up your meeting packet immediately, before going to the workshop. The packets contain expense report forms.
  • During your presentation, keep to your allotted time.
  • Return your expense report to your organizer as soon as possible.

Travel Reimbursement

  • If the organizer says your air travel will be reimbursed:
    • You must book through a U.S. carrier for air travel. If a foreign carrier is used, airfare cannot be reimbursed. (An exception is travel on a foreign carrier that is booked through a domestic carrier, e.g., through a code share.)
    • Before you buy a ticket, you must obtain a price quote through the User Office. (The purpose is to confirm that the lowest reasonable fare is chosen.) Contact Beverly Knott,, 630-252-7385, with your desired itinerary.
    • Beverly will reply with a quote from Argonne's contracted travel agency.
    • When you have a quote from Beverly, you can buy your own ticket by whatever means you prefer.
    • Air travel will be reimbursed to the amount quoted by Beverly, or to the reimbursement amount authorized by the organizer, whichever is lower. (If the authorized amount exceeds the airfare quote, the remainder can be applied to other authorized expenses.)
  • Expense reports: Original receipts are required. Return your expense report to your workshop organizer.
  • Honorarium: If an "honorarium" is given instead of reimbursement, the amount will be taxable.
  • Housing: Housing is reimbursable to the extent agreed with your organizer.
  • Car rentals: Rentals between Chicagoland airports and Argonne National Laboratory are reimbursable. Cars rented from other locations are reimbursable to the extent the cost does not exceed the cost of airfare. The type of rental car must be a compact size and at the most economical rate possible. Gasoline must either be pre-purchased or the vehicle is to be returned full. For vehicles returned that require gasoline, the reimbursement will be limited to the pre-purchase rate.
  • Personal cars: Mileage, gasoline, and tolls are reimbursable to the extent they do not exceed the cost of airfare.
  • Train: The expense of train travel is reimbursable to the extent the cost does not exceed the cost of airfare.
  • Taxi: Taxi expenses are reimbursable provided they are reasonable.
Non-U.S. Citizens

Please register well in advance. Both new visits and returning visits require current/approved Argonne access documentation.

No Argonne entry without current access permission.

When you arrive at Argonne, in order to pick up your gate pass, you will need to show the following INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) documentation at the Argonne Information Center.

Legal Permanent Resident (green card holders)
• Legal Permanent Resident of the United States of America (green card)

Canadian Citizens
• Passport & I-94

Visa Waiver Countries
• Passport
• I-94W (visa waiver stamped in passport on entry to U.S.)

All Others
• Passport and
• Visas:
  • F1 & I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Student Status)
  • J1 & DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for J-1 Status)
  • H1B & I-94
  • B1 & I-94
  • EAD (Employment Authorization Document) & I-94
  • I-797 (Request for Change in Status) & I-94





U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science |  Office of Basic Energy Sciences |  UChicago Argonne LLC

Privacy & Security Notice |  Contact Us |  Site Map