This workshop is organized as part of the COMPRES Education, Outreach and Infrastructure Development programs to promote the application of the state-of-the-art Nuclear Resonant Scattering (NRS) techniques for characterizing the properties of materials under the high P-T conditions of planetary interiors. Two NRS techniques, SMS and NRIXS, will be covered.
Synchrotron Mössbauer Spectroscopy (SMS) provides information on magnetic properties and valence state in minerals containing Fe and other resonant isotopes (Sn, Eu, Dy, and Kr).
Nuclear Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering (NRIXS) gives phonon density of state and therefore information on vibration and elastic properties.
During the workshop we intend to
- offer an introduction to SMS and NRIXS techniques and beamline instrumentation
- introduce CONUSS, PHOENIX and SciPhon for data evaluation
- provide hands-on training in the use of CONUSS, PHOENIX and SciPhon
- address common issues that users confront
- discuss recently added features to the new version of the softwares