Experiment Hazard Class 8.3 – X-Ray Generators
This hazard classification applies to all experiments involving the use of X-Ray Generators (other than the APS storage ring).
As specified in LMS-PROC-109 a Radiation Generating Device (RGD) must be registered with the Argonne RGD Safety Officer using the ANL-847 form. The RGD will be assigned an inventory number, hazard class, RWP requirement, and inspection and survey frequencies.
Experiments the Experiment Hazard Class are always categorized as High Risk.
Experiment Hazard Control Verification Statements
Engineered Controls – As determined in LMS-PROC-109. Class 2 and higher RGDs require an interlock system and completion of an ANL-848 form - Radiation-Generating Device Inspection..
Procedural Controls – An Operating Procedure is required that addresses:
- RGD normal operation instructions
- Emergency response, including off-normal alarms, abnormal external radiation level, and proper notification
- Methods and occasions for locking and securing the RGD
- Calibration and alignment fo the useful beam, as needed
- Documentation of operational checks, inspections, and testing records
- Control of keys or computer passwords for RGD operation
- Interlock test procedure
Design Reviews and Equipment Inspections – The need for engineered or procedural controls will be determined by review with RSO-HP and the AES ES&H Coordinator.
Class 1 RGD - ESH738 (GERT)
Class 2 or higher RGD:
- Radiological Worker for X-Ray Users (ESH713)
- Analytical X-Ray Device Safety (ESH705)
Signs and Labeling – All signs and postings required for the area will be supplied by RSO Health Physics.
Personal Protective Equipment – As determined by review with RSO-HP.
Dosimetry and Monitoring – All users involved in the experiment will be required to wear a dosimeter during the experiment. Class 2 or higher RGD also requires a ring-badge to be worn.
Unless otherwise noted in the approved experiment safety plan, the Director of the APS Engineering Support Division delegates the authority to authorize an experiment in this hazard class to any of the persons in the beamline personnel that appear in the list of Beamline Manager personnel authorized to approve experiments and a member of the APS Experiment Review Board.
Hazard Control Verification
The Director of the APS Engineering Support Division delegates responsibility for verifying that required controls are in place to personnel delegated the authority to perform this task to RSO-Health Physics or APS Experiment Review Board, the experiment On-site Spokesperson, and Beamline Management personnel having experiment safety responsibilities.
- ANL LMS PROC-109 "Control of Radiation-Generating Devices" Rev. 3
- ANL ES&H, Section 5.16 Radiation Safety Interlock System
Reviewed: May 9, 2013