J. Galayda, K.-J. Kim, and J. Murphy, "Greenfield FELs," presented at the BESAC Subcommittee on BES 20-year Facility Road Map, February 22-24, 2003.
A. Emission Processes:
- A. Modinos, "Electron Emission from Free-Electron Metals," Chapter 1 in Field, Thermionic, and Secondary Electron Emission Spectroscopy, (Plenum Press, New York: 1984), pp. 1-34.
- K.L. Jensen, P.G. O'Shea, and D.W. Feldman, "Generalized electron emission model for field, thermal, and photoemission," Appl. Phys. Lett., 81, 3867 (2002).
- A. Valfells, D.W. Feldman, M. Virgo, and P.G. O'Shea, "Effects of pulse-length and emitter area on virtual cathode formation in electron guns," Physics of Plasmas, 9, 2377 (2002).
- K.L. Jensen, "Electron emission theory and its application: Fowler-Nordheim equation and beyond," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 21(4), 1528 (2003).
B. Beam Conditioning:
- A.M. Sessler, D.W. Whittum, and L.-H. Yu, "Radio-frequency beam condition for fast-wave free-electron generators of coherent radiation," PRL, 68, 309 (1992).
- S. Reiche, "Compensation of FEL gain reduction by emittance effects in a strong focusing lattice," NIMA, A445, 90 (2000).
- P. Emma and G. Stupakov, "Limitations of electron beam conditioning for free-electron lasers," Phys. Rev. ST Accel. Beams 6, 030701 (2003).
C. RF Photocathode Beam Dynamics:
- K.-J. Kim, "RF and Space Charge Effects in Laser-Driven RF Electron Guns," Nucl. Instrum. Methods, A275, 201 (1989).
- L. Serafini and J.B. Rosenzweig, "Envelope analysis of intense relativistic quasilaminar beams in rf photo-injectors: A theory of emittance compensation," PRE, 55, 7565 (1997).
- L. Serafini and M. Ferrario, "New generation issues in the beam physics of RF laser driven electron photo-injectors," Proc. SPIE Photonic West 99: Free Electron Laser Challenges, San Jose, CA, USA (1999).
- B.E. Carlsten and D.T. Palmer, "Enhanced emittance compensation in a high-frequency RF photo-injector using RF radial focusing," NIMA, A425, 37 (1999).