The Workshop on Scientific Opportunities for Fourth Generation Light Sources
October 27 to 29, 1997
at the Advanced Photon Source at Argonne National Laboratory.
This workshop will explore the phenomenology of interactions with ultra-high-power, -brilliance, and -coherence light sources in the DUV, soft x-ray, and x-ray regimes, as well as the scientific opportunities they provide. The workshop will begin with tutorials on the generation and properties of these sources and identify issues in their use in experimentation. Also included will be an overview of current efforts to develop these sources and a review of the scientific opportunities defined by previous research and workshops. These background talks will be followed by a number of working group sessions on phenomenology and scientific areas of interest. The outcome of this workshop is expected to be an authoritative report that can be used by scientists, scientific managers, and science policy makers to chart future directions for fourth-generation light sources.
- Program Schedule (updated 10/27/97)
- Abstracts (updated 10/29/97)
- Instructions for Working Groups (updated 9/26/97)
- Instructions for Speakers (updated 9/26/97)
- List of FEL Related Links
- The 1994 report Free Electron Lasers and Other Advanced Sources of Light: Scientific Research Opportunities is available on-line.
- Request for Additional Information (posted 10/8/97)
Last modified 10/29/97