X-ray Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 S. Cass Ave
(630) 252-3593 • email
1995 PhD, Condensed Matter Physics, Nanjing University, China
1995-1997 Assistant Professor, Nanjing University
1998-2005 Research Scientist, Stony Brook University
2006-2007 Assistant Physicist, APS/ANL
2006-present, Adjunct Professor, Materials Sci. & Eng., Stony Brook Univ
2008-2009 Associate Physicist, NSLS-II/BNL
2009-present, Physicist, APS/ANL, Crystal Optics Section Leader of the Optics Group
1. X. R. Huang, D. P. Siddons, A. T. Macrander, R. W. Peng, and X. S. Wu, Multicavity X-Ray Fabry-Perot Resonance with Ultrahigh Resolution and Contrast, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 224801 (2012).
2. R. H. Fan , R. W. Peng, X. R. Huang, J. Li, Y. Liu, Q. Hu, M. Wang, and X. Zhang, Transparent Metals for Ultrabroadband Electromagnetic Waves, Adv. Mater. 24, 1980 (2012).
3. X. R. Huang, A. T. Macrander, M. G. Honnicke, Y. Q. Cai, and P. Fernandez, Dispersive spread of virtual sources by asymmetric X-ray
monochromators, J. Appl. Cryst. 45, 255 (2012).
4. X. R. Huang, R. W. Peng and R. H. Fan, Making metals transparent for white light by spoof surface plasmons, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 243901 (2010).
5. X.R. Huang, LauePt, a graphic-user-interface program for simulating and analyzing white-beam X-ray diffraction Laue patterns, J. Appl. Cryst. 43, 926-928 (2010).
6. Yu. Shvyd’ko, S. Stoupin, A. Cunsolo, A.H. Said and X. Huang, High-reflectivity high-resolution X-ray crystal optics with diamonds, Nature Physics 6, 196-199 (2010).
7. X.R. Huang, D. R. Black, A. T. Macrander, J. Maj. Y. Chen, and M. Dudley, High-geomtrical-resolution imaging of dislocations in SiC using monochromatic synchrotron topography, Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 231903 (2007).
8. X.R. Huang, J. Bai, M. Dudley, B. Wagner, R.F. Davis, Y. Zhu, Step-controlled strain relaxation in vicinal surface epitaxy of nitrides, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 086101 (2005).
(1) X-ray Crystal Optics: Design, fabrication & characterization of X-ray monochromators, analyzers, and various crystal-based X-ray optics; (2) Dynamical X-ray Diffraction Theory; (3) X-ray topography imaging and phase contrast imaging; (4) Crystal growth and characterization; (5) Photonic crystals and plasmonic metamaterials
2009-present, APS/ANL, Crystal Optics Section Leader: (1) Overseeing design, fabrication & characterization of crystal optics, including novel ultrahigh-resolution IXS optics, diamond optics; (2) Diffraction physics, dynamical theory, X-ray coherence; (3) Materials characterization (SiC, GaN); (4) X-ray diffraction and scattering software development; (5) Plasmonics and Photonics
2008-2009, NSLS-II/BNL, Coordinator and leading scientist on developing sub-meV ultrahigh-resolution X-ray optics for next-generation Inelastic X-ray Scattering Spectroscopy
Awards and Honors
1997, First-Class Prize for Science and Technology Advances of Jiangsu Province, China: Studies of Defects and Phase Transitions in Functional Crystals with Synchrotron Radiation Techniques.