Mechanical Engineering and Design
APS Engineering Support Division
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 S. Cass Ave
(630) 252-7576 • email
Gary Navrotski has been involved in numerous aspects of synchrotron radiation research, X-ray facility instrumentation and beamline operations since 1986. His personal areas of research interest include semiconductor surface adlayer 2D phase transformations as well as thin film and materials sciences. He is currently engaged in facility and instrumentation design for the upgrade of the Advanced Photon Source (APS), a third generation, hard X-ray synchrotron source, completed by 2018.
• Navrotski, G., “Silver on Silicon(111): Surface Structural Transformations and Trace Contaminant Effects at Submonolayer Coverage”, Cornell University, (2007).
• Navrotski, G., “A Synchrotron Radiation Primer”, “A Vacuum Primer”, “A Comparison of World Synchrotron Radiation Sources”, Advanced Design Consulting USA, Inc. 2004-2005 Catalog, ©2003.
• Blank, B., T. Kupp, E. Johnson, A. Deyhim, C.-C. Kao, W. Caliebe, G. Navrotski, “Development of a Goniometer with Nanoradian Accuracy”, MEDSI02, 2002, Argonne National Laboratory.
• Navrotski, G., “Design, Installation, Calibration, Testing and Operation of the BioCARS 14-ID Diamond Monochromator Retrofit”, CARS Technical Note CTN-11 (2002).
• Navrotski, G., “Optical Ray Tracings for the BioCARS Wiggler and Undulator ID Beamline”, CARS Technical Note” CARS Technical Note CTN-10 and “Addendum” (2001).
• Navrotski, G. (ed.), “Final Design Report of Technical Components for the BioCARS Sector 14 at the Advanced Photon Source” (1995).
• Navrotski, G., "Construction of Be Windows for UHV Use", J. Vac. Sci. Tech. A, 12, 262 (1994).
• Navrotski, G., “Design of an Ultra-High Vacuum Compatible Materials Handling System”, Prepared for Silent-Hoist and Crane Design Engineering Prize (1994).
• Bedzyk, M.J., G. Navrotski and M.V. Koval'chuk, "X-Ray Standing Wave Study of Atomic Positions in Cd.99Zn.01Se.04Te.96", Cornell University, Materials Science Center Report #7600 (1994).
• Shen, Q., J.P. Chang, G. Navrotski, and J.M. Blakely, "X-Ray Diffraction Study of the Ni(111)5° Vicinal Surface", Physical Review Letters, 64, 451 (1990).
• Bedzyk, M.J., Q. Shen, M. Keeffe and G. Navrotski, "X-Ray Standing Wave Structural Determination for I on Ge(111)", Surface Science, 220, 419 (1989).
• J. Maj, G. Navrotski, X. Huang, L. Assoufid, R. Khachatryan, J. Qian, M. Wieczorek. “The effect of surface residual stress on the performance of high quality X-ray mirrors” SPIE Conference, San Diego (2011)