Safety Interlocks Group
The AES/Safety Interlocks Group is responsible for developing, implementing, and supporting primarily PLC-based interlock systems for personnel access control and equipment protection of the APS accelerators and beamlines, specifically ACIS, PSS, BLEPS and FEEPS. The mission of the group is focused on meeting five objectives:
- Implement and support failsafe interlock systems and maintain high availability and operational transparency of the installed systems.
- Comply with all applicable DOE and ANL safety interlock requirements
- Meet or exceed assigned reliability and availability budget goals for the APS machine.
- Implement the Generation1 PSS upgrade at 6 beamlines which includes addressing compliance issues, replacing the obsolete GE processors and EPICS screen upgrades
- Provide oversight for all work performed on Radiation Safety Systems
- Implement the group ECR system and develop a PLC software configuration management system.
- Continue reviewing the PSS drawings, update them and enter into ICMS
- Review the beamline user requirement documents for accuracy and update them as needed
- Begin developing PSS documentation and drawing package for new Intermediate Energy X-Ray Scattering (IEX) beamline
- Implement the modification to FEEPS that allows beamlines with dual undulators to operate within designated limits
- Develop an ACIS upgrade path.
- Continue to enter all ACIS drawings and procedures into ICMS
- Review the Gen 3 system and develop an upgrade path to be implemented at the IEX beamline
- If funded, develop a universal BLEPS simulator.
- If funded, develop a Generation 3 PSS mezzanine and station printed circuit board tester.
- Support the CNM Laser Safety Interlock System.
- Promote practical QA initiatives within the group
- Act as a resource for the APS facility and the community at large, primarily in the area of PLC-based safety and equipment protection interlock systems.
- If funded, implement a strategy that will offer all users (beginning with the XOR CATs) the use of our resources to assist with the installation and maintenance of their BLEP systems.
- Provide support for the APS renewal plan
- Provide support to other DOE laboratories in the area of personnel safety systems
- Develop a visibly outstanding technical workforce in engineered safety systems.
- Maintain an understanding not just of conventional engineering techniques, but also mandates and practices specific to engineered safety systems.
- Maintain Safety Software Quality Assurance (SSQA) work process that is consistent with that stipulated in the DOE O 414.1C, ANL QAPP and in APS organizational QA procedures.
- Continue enhancing and developing engineer's and technicians knowledge of PLCs through in-house and external training.
- Develop expertise in the codes and regulations associated with engineered safety systems. Utilize cross-training to share knowledge.
- Integrate ICMS into the daily activities of the group.
- Become proficient using the ICMS system.
- Utilize ICMS for all validation procedures.
- Utilize the ICMS approval workflows.
- Stay proactive in the APS and AES safety culture.
- Achieve 100% compliance with web-based training requirements as defined by the ANL JHQs.
- Integrate ISM and appropriate safety policies and procedures into all tasks and activities.